Friday, March 7, 2014

The poor will you will always have with you.

Excellent reflection in my church's little black Lenten book.

They quote the reading where Jesus states that, "The poor you will always have with you."  I haven't really studied the bible cover to cover, which is sad, but true. I haven't come across this verse and it struck me because it kind of goes against what I have come to believe the past few years.

The book says that Jesus isn't stating that poverty is just a fact of life and we should get over it. To the contrary, He is quoting Moses in Deuteronomy, who was preparing the Israelites to enter the promised land. He warned them, the same way Jesus did - that although there were riches in the Promised Land, that wealth would not be distributed evenly...a fact that, unfortunately, is still prevalent around the world and in our society.

As for me, I consider myself to be middle-right, politically. I am fortunate enough to be educated, to have two bachelors degrees, and to be gainfully employed...and I feel as if I have earned it with hard work, discipline, and (lastly) the means to do so through the support of my parents and family. As I progressed and developed a bias against handouts...welfare...whatever you want to call it. Yet, I know that there are those poor who did not have a fraction of the circumstances and means that I did growing up and have become reliant on welfare programs.

I pray that I my heart softens to those who are in need, are hungry or who lead difficult lives - that I may be more selfless than selfish and that I may give alms freely and without expectation of reward, especially during this Lenten season. Amen.

No comments: